Thursday, June 26, 2014

YA Guy Interviews... YA Guy Jr. on THE EIGHTH DAY by Dianne K. Salerni!

In today's post, I interview my 11-year-old son, Jonah, a great reader of Middle Grade literature. Jonah just finished Dianne K. Salerni's wonderful book, THE EIGHTH DAY, and here's what he had to say about it!

Hey, Jonah! How’s it going, dude?

Pretty good.

Tell us a little bit about THE EIGHTH DAY.

Okay. Jax is an orphan who lives with his guardian, named Riley, who he really hates. After his thirteenth birthday, Jax wakes up in a world with nobody there. He’s confused and doesn’t know what’s happening. In his second Eighth Day, he meets Riley there, and Riley tells him about the Eighth Day. He tells him how the Eighth Day is a curse trapping certain people in the Eighth Day. Jax is a “Transitioner,” so he can get into the Eighth Day, but Evangeline, who lives next door, can’t get out of the Eighth Day. In trying to help Evangeline, Jax ends up in a situation where he has to save the world.

What was your favorite part of the book? Who was your favorite character?

My favorite part of the book was the end, but I’m not going to say that! Instead, my second favorite part of the book was when Jax was kidnapped by the villains. My favorite character is Miller, because he’s a double agent and you don’t know whose side he’s on until the end.

What about villains? Did the book have any good villains?

Yeah, the best villain in the book was the Kin lord Wylit. The Kin are the people who are trapped in the Eighth Day. I liked Wylit because he had mischievous plans to destroy the world.

If you had an extra day each week that you could spend doing whatever you wanted, what would you do?

What would I do? I’d go in one of those sea rover thingies underwater to see giant squids and stuff. And I’d go to Pirates batting practice and do batting practice with Andrew McCutchen.

Final question: on a scale of one to five, how many honor blades would you give to THE EIGHTH DAY?

Can I do six?







Thanks, Jonah!

Readers, if you want more information about Dianne or THE EIGHTH DAY, visit her website at http://diannesalerni.com/.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jonah and Josh for this interview! And I love the Honor Blade Rating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Dianne! And now Jonah can't wait to read the sequel!

      Delete